John W. Whitehead
John W. Whitehead (Juris Doctorate, University of Arkansas School of Law) is an attorney and author who has written, debated and practised widely in the area of constitutional law and human rights. In 1982 he established The Rutherford Institute, a nonprofit civil liberties and human rights organisation headquartered in Charlottesville, Virginia. As the Institute's president and spokesperson he writes a weekly commentary for Rutherford.org which is distributed to several hundred newspapers, and hosts a national public service radio campaign. The recipient of numerous accolades for his civil liberties work, John Whitehead has authored numerous books on legal and social issues, had articles printed in prestigious US national newspapers, been the subject of magazine and TV profiles, and been interviewed countless times on US-national and international TV and Radio. His documentary video series, Grasping for the Wind, received two Silver World Medals at the New York Film and Video Festival. Whitehead has filed numerous amicus briefs before the US Supreme Court, and served as co-counsel in several landmark Supreme Court cases. His law reviews have been published in Emory Law Journal, Pepperdine Law Review, Harvard Journal on Legislation, Washington and Lee Law Review, Cumberland Law Review, Tulsa Law Journal and the Temple University Civil Rights Law Review.
Items mentioned in / relevant to the interview
- John W. Whitehead, Battlefield America: The War on the American People, SelectBooks (April 14, 2015)
- _______________, "America’s Gestapo: The FBI’s Reign of Terror", Rutherford.org (14 March 2016)
- _______________, "Dangerous Speech: Would the Founders Be Considered Domestic Extremists Today?", Rutherford.org (8 February 2016)
- _______________, "Jesus Died in a Police State", Rutherford.org (31 March 2016)
- _______________, "Jesus Lived in a Police State", Music Video, Rutherford.org (2014)
- _______________, "Crucified for the Crime of Extremism: Jesus Died in a Police State", Rutherford.org (24 March 2016)
- Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment [external PDF], US Homeland Security (7 April 2009)
- Leftwing Extremists Likely to Increase Use of Cyber Attacks over the Coming Decade [external PDF], US Homeland Security (26 January 2009)
- Operation Vigilant Eagle (Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Vigilant_Eagle)
- Prevent Duty Guidance, UK Home Office (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/prevent-duty-guidance)
- TMR 122 : Don't Let David Cameron Turn You Into An "Extremist"
- James Wesley Rawles, "Beware of Homeland Security Training for Local Law Enforcement, by An Insider", SurvivalBlog.com (30 March 2011)
- Five Eyes (Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes)
- ECHELON (Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON)
- Report on the existence of a global system for the interception of private and commercial communications (ECHELON interception system) (2001/2098(INI)), © European Parliament
- Don't Be a Puppet [interactive website], FBI Countering Violent Extremism
- FBI Next Generation Identification (NGI) (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/fingerprints_biometrics/ngi/ngi2)
- FBI Repository for Individuals of Special Concern (RISC) [external PDF]
- Of particular note is the fourth category on the RISC list: (1) "Wanted Persons (including the Immigration Violator File)"; (2) "National Sexual Offender Registry Subjects"; (3) "Known or appropriately Suspected Terrorists"; (4) "Other Persons of Special Interest"
- COINTELPRO (Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO)
- Dia Kayyali, "FBI's "Suicide Letter" to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and the Dangers of Unchecked Surveillance", Electronic Frontier Foundation (12 November 2014)
- Beverly Gage, "What an Uncensored Letter to M.L.K. Reveals", The New York Times Magazine (11 November 2014)
- Paul Harris, "Fake terror plots, paid informants: the tactics of FBI 'entrapment' questioned", The Guardian (16 November 2011)
- National Security Letters (Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_security_letter)
- Ed Pilkington, "FBI demands new powers to hack into computers and carry out surveillance", The Guardian (29 October 2014)
- Kevin Poulsen, "Visit the Wrong Website, and the FBI Could End Up Inside Your Computer", Wired.com (8 May 2014)
- TMR 135 : Charles & Mary Ann Strange : Michael, SEAL Team Six & Extortion 17
- Kim Zetter, "What an NYPD Spy Copter Reveals about the FBI's Spy Planes", Wired.com (6 May 2015)
- Matt Richtel, "A Police Gadget Tracks Phones? Shhh! It’s Secret", The New York Times (15 March 2015)
- Police agents provocateurs in Quebec?
- Crowds on Demand (http://crowdsondemand.com/)
- An image of The Angry Christ by Lino Pontebon can be found at My Scribbling Pad blog (http://sajeevachen.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/angry-christ.html)
Jesus Lived in a Police State
Opening music: Chillout Me, kindly provided by Antony Raijekov, from his Jazz U compilation (CC BY-NC 2.5)
Ending music: Jesus Lived in a Police State by John. W. Whitehead, Copyright © 2014 The Rutherford Institute, all rights reserved, and used here with express permission.
Slide show image: "35 - FBI SWAT Team" by tuarswf on Flickr (CC BY 2.0); resized, aspect ratio altered, brightened, cropped